Many people view Rose and white wine as summer refreshers, and red wine as a strict winter beverage. That is not the case! You can enjoy Rose all year if that’s your preference, and you can even pop a light red in the fridge 10-15 minutes before you serve them. Ultimately, you should drink what you enjoy, but there are plenty of delicious wines that are perfect for the warm, summer months.
When you think about a summer wine, you probably imagine something you can drink all day while enjoying the sunshine in your backyard. Or, perhaps enjoy in the park with a picnic. What matters, though, is not the color so much as the flavor profile. Check out our favorites wines for Summer 2019.
- Syrah (or Shiraz) is dark and full-bodied. It has an aroma of chocolate and flavors of dark fruits, from blueberry to lives, that taper into a peppery finish. It’s the perfect summer barbecue beverage.
- Zinfandel is another excellent summer red option because it goes so well with grilled meats and simple meals like pizza. It’s dark in color and heavy in flavor, with hints of spice and strong berry flavors.
- Montepulciano is dry and fruity. It’s purplish, though as it matures, it turns a sensational shade of garnet red. It’s a delicious summer choice.
- Sauvignon Blanc is versatile, it’s delicious all year, but for summer, it’s perfect. Sauvignon Blancs come with an herbaceous aroma and a flavor of gooseberries and citrus. The grape itself is a versatile one which can be vinified in all different styles.
- Pinot Grigio is an Italian style wine. It’s dry, crisp, and light. It’s the perfect summer beverage, and it pairs with a variety of foods as well. So, you can sit on your porch and sip it on its own or enjoy it with an array of summer barbecue food.
- Fume Blanc is basically Sauvignon Blanc fermented in, typically oak, barrels. California’s Robert Mondavi created this style back in 1968, and he’s the man responsible for the worldwide attention Napa Valley would finally receive. You can expect flavors of grapefruit and citrus as well as aromas of hay and grass.
- CabFandel is a blend of Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon. You can expect concentrated flavors of jam. It has the structure of (and full-body) of Cab Sav, but the initial impression is all Zinfandel.
- The Prisoner is a delicious summer option because of it’s fruity flavors. With hints of pomegranate, wild berries, and raspberries, this signature bottle has a soft finish.
- Super Rhone is a stunning blend of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon. The result is a delightful jammy wine with notes of raspberry and black and blue fruits. It’s smooth, ripe, and dark ruby/violet in color. It’s delicious young or old.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide what summer wine you will choose. Just go with the flow and choose a wine that suits your palette, and the occasion.